Thursday, August 26, 2021

Shortcrust pastry

This is needed for a number of dishes, so I'm adding it separately rather than keep repeating the recipe.

In a mixing bowl, rub flour and a spoonful of salt into a mixture of butter and lard until it forms a crumbly mix. The proportions aren't too fussy, but you want roughly twice as much flour as fat, and the fat content we use is half-and-half butter and lard. Many recipes just use butter and that's OK.

Add a small amount of cold water until you have a stiff dough - soft enough to work, but not sticky. Adding a dash of lemon juice along with the water will help make the dough more pliable.

And your pastry is ready to roll and use.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian - thought I'd better read this first ... before the Cornish gets me reacting to your next post! I think the only thing I'd add here - shouldn't the pastry rest for a while before using? I hate to say I've probably never made pastry - except when someone was around to supervise me ...it's never been my favourite occupation! Well done to you for making it ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete