Sunday, August 27, 2017

Tikka / tikka masala

Chicken tikka masala is reputed to be Britain's most popular dish, ousting such favorites as roast beef & Yorkshire pudding. I can't vouch for the authenticity of this particular recipe but the result is a rich and creamy dish well worth the effort.

The tikka part of the recipe is simple (and authentic). Blend together the following: a generous spoonful each of pulped ginger and pulped garlic, 1 or 2 teaspoons each of ground coriander, cumin, and chili powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, 3 tablespoons of natural yoghurt, 2 of lemon juice, and 1 of tomato puree. Add the meat - diced chicken or lamb - and leave to marinate for a few hours at least.

Place the mixture on a bed of sliced onion, drizzle with oil, and grill until cooked and browned.

This alone is great as a starter or side dish.

To "masala" the tikka, make up a separate sauce of fried onions, spices (a good spoon each of ground cumin, coriander, curry powder, turmeric, and a dash of curry paste). Cook the spices then stir in a cup of cream. Leave to stand (or on a very low heat) to let the flavors mingle.

When the meat and the sauce is ready, drain any excess liquid from the meat and decant into the sauce. Stir and heat through.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ian - I enjoy it when I have it ... but it's not something I make ... though I'm sure if I had a family we would enjoy making it ... and I love the ingredients ... ginger, coriander and particularly cumin - and yes, I know the others too! A bit early in the day - so now I want to eat! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I use lot of these spices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good topic thanks for post for sharing on website ..
    โคนัน

    ReplyDelete